AR15 for Home-Defense
The right gun for the job
Shotguns traditionally have been the long gun of choice for home defense since the Pilgrims brought their blunderbuss with them and propped it in the corner of their cabin.
Making good choices
The key to a home defense long gun is caliber and ammo selection. 30 caliber is simply too much for use in the home. An ideal round perhaps is .223 Remington. A soft point 55 grain bullet fired from a rifle is no more penetrative through common building materials than a pistol bullet and is an effective bad guy stopper. The small bullet typically creates massive internal damage and almost always stays with in the body.
The mild recoil associated with a modern sporting rifle (MSR) or AR15 is one of it's biggest advantages. People that are small of stature can handle the gun and keep its muzzle down and on target. The adjustable buttock allows the length of pull to fit a wide variety of shooters. These characteristics alone separate the MSR from a 12 gauge shotgun. Once trained, anyone in the house can successfully use it. This allows an AR15 to be a "pool" weapon - much like the long guns kept in a police cruiser for three shifts per day. No matter what shift you are working, the rifle can adjust to you, your stature, and your preferences.
Learn to use your rifle
With the proper ammunition and training, the AR15 can become your entire family's home defense gun. Contact us for more info and to check one out!
- Why Are You Just Standing There? Shooting From Unconventional Positions
- New Gun, New Habits
- Home Defense Shotgun Set Up
- What Should I be Doing at the Range?
- Fighting From The Ground
- Take Charge of Recoil, don’t let it control you…
- Think Before You Speak
- Grab a Partner
- The Risks of Being Nice…
- Lead With Your Eyes (not your muzzle)
- Train as You Carry… Leave the competition and tactical gear behind
- KNIFE VS GUN - A quick scenario to ponder
- Frankengun vs Factory
- Memory - Program Yourself
- Training for Injury
- Lights and Lasers and YouTube Ninjas
- Our Stance on Your Stance
- Training for More Than One Attacker…
- Keep Your Head On - Consistency
- Defensive Shotgun Accessory Do’s and Don’ts
- Charlottesville - lies and hypocrites
- Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger…
- …and Re-holster
- Unauthorized persons…
- Focus on What will Save Your Life
- Train for Success with your Firearms
- Every Day is a Good Day to Be Ready
- Appendix Carry - Is it right for you?
- Learn to see the light...
- Anti-Gun Sentiment on the Intarwebs…
- Avoidance and Awareness
- Point Shooting: Does it work? Do you know what it is?
- About your self-defense carry ammo...
- See the Whole Picture... Know how to reload reflexively
- One-Handed Shooting
- Every Bullet Has a Price...
- On Magazine Changes... fighting for your life
- There is Such a Thing as Too Fast...
- A Threat at Arm's Length
- In defensive shooting, missing your target has consequences...
- AR15 for Home-Defense
- Operating out of your Comfort Zone...
- Every Bullet Has A Price - Operational Speed
- Car (or Truck) Gun Safety
- Keep a Clear Head
- Get Training!
- Women and Firearms at Cajun Arms