In defensive shooting, missing your target has consequences...
We talk about "combat accuracy" and "combat efficiency" quite a bit. In a life or death situation, time is of the essence. However, errant shots are unacceptable as they may strike an innocent victim. Every round that leaves your gun has a price tag and/or lawyer attached to it! When practicing, do not accept your misses easily or just write them off.
Don't game it
I know competition shooters that shoot so fast that they don't miss a beat when their round misses a target. They would rather knock down a plate rack in three seconds with three misses than take 4 seconds to knock down all the plates without a miss. This is why many true defensive shooters dismiss competition as merely a game.
Slow down enough to be smooth. Once there, push yourself to see how fast you can go without missing. This is your "operational zone". Shooting for self defense is an ever changing balance due to distance and conditions. Practice under varying conditions and target size. Remember, blinding speed at the expense of accuracy is not an acceptable trade-off!
- Why Are You Just Standing There? Shooting From Unconventional Positions
- New Gun, New Habits
- Home Defense Shotgun Set Up
- What Should I be Doing at the Range?
- Fighting From The Ground
- Take Charge of Recoil, don’t let it control you…
- Think Before You Speak
- Grab a Partner
- The Risks of Being Nice…
- Lead With Your Eyes (not your muzzle)
- Train as You Carry… Leave the competition and tactical gear behind
- KNIFE VS GUN - A quick scenario to ponder
- Frankengun vs Factory
- Memory - Program Yourself
- Training for Injury
- Lights and Lasers and YouTube Ninjas
- Our Stance on Your Stance
- Training for More Than One Attacker…
- Keep Your Head On - Consistency
- Defensive Shotgun Accessory Do’s and Don’ts
- Charlottesville - lies and hypocrites
- Keep Your Finger Off the Trigger…
- …and Re-holster
- Unauthorized persons…
- Focus on What will Save Your Life
- Train for Success with your Firearms
- Every Day is a Good Day to Be Ready
- Appendix Carry - Is it right for you?
- Learn to see the light...
- Anti-Gun Sentiment on the Intarwebs…
- Avoidance and Awareness
- Point Shooting: Does it work? Do you know what it is?
- About your self-defense carry ammo...
- See the Whole Picture... Know how to reload reflexively
- One-Handed Shooting
- Every Bullet Has a Price...
- On Magazine Changes... fighting for your life
- There is Such a Thing as Too Fast...
- A Threat at Arm's Length
- In defensive shooting, missing your target has consequences...
- AR15 for Home-Defense
- Operating out of your Comfort Zone...
- Every Bullet Has A Price - Operational Speed
- Car (or Truck) Gun Safety
- Keep a Clear Head
- Get Training!
- Women and Firearms at Cajun Arms